Friday, December 30, 2011

Where did my cool go?

It's almost New Year's here in suburbia and as I'm a single mom of two teenagers who lives on the wrong side of the tracks, I will spend another New Year's eve in my room listening to my kids have fun with the liquor cabinet as they hook up to MTV. It's been years since I've been invited anywhere as no suburban woman wants an unmarried single lady around; I'm a threat even though I haven't had any interest in sex (unless it has batteries and is pink) or men in quite some time. They can't even consider me a threat to their own sexuality as I don't have any interest in women either.

Years ago I was cool; I'd spend my nights hanging in the best club with the greatest, most artistic, creative people in NYC or LA. There was never any question that my Docs and I would be dancing the night away to Duran Duran, The Cure or The Smiths. I was the girl that never waited in line, the girl with the Vidal Sassson cut and the Fiorucci pants, the girl who got the guy with the awesome leather jacket and the Mohawk. Now I sit behind these suburban walls feeling jealous that my 18 year old son went to Pasha for teen night. How does one lose their cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment